10. Raise Awareness – Heightened awareness is critical to the welfare of this population so that they can be served safely by knowledgeable staff and facilities. We are very passionate about this cause and try to spread the word as much as possible.
9. Fulfill the Need - As demonstrated by the trends and facts, this topic requires greater awareness to meet the needs of the patients, residents and patrons.
8. Ease Your Worries – Putting a formal program into your facility will ease your worries that people can dine safely and have their needs met. No one wants to see people get sick.
7. Take Pride – This is a wonderful opportunity to provide a work environment that is topnotch and demonstrates caring and that you have taken the extra step to do the right thing!
6. Instill Confidence – The most important aspect of providing a formal program is that you will instill confidence with the patients, residents and patrons that you know what you are doing and that they should not fear that they will get sick. In addition, the staff will have a renewed sense of confidence as they have been given the knowledge to do the right thing.
4. Regulatory Compliance – From the start, develop the program so that it will be compliant with the FDA Labeling Laws and other regulatory body standards - federal, state, local, Joint Commission.
3. Well Educated Staff – Knowledge is power which will increase confidence in the patients, residents and patrons, and your staff. This new program needs to be comprehensive so that it covers all facets including clinical and practical aspects.
2. Change Agent- Start a movement and be a best practice facility for your peers to look up to. It will be great publicity for your institution
1. Patient/Patron Safety and Satisfaction!!!!! – Ultimate Goal which can be accomplished with the implementation of a formal gluten/allergen-free food service program following the guidelines presented today.